Tuesday, October 4, 2011

feeling aged anyone?

So, I have always been the youngest. I am the youngest child in my family, most of my friends are older. But everyone seems to think I'm middle aged, matronly, or just plain old! I have examples.

1. Driving my then boyfriend (now husband) to get his wisdom teeth pulled, the doctor wouldn't talk to Doug at all, she was talking directly to me, later someone said, your son is ready, and I was all REALLY? WTF MAN?! I am in college still, I have funky framed glasses with green and black on them, and an OSU sweatshirt on!

funky framed glasses not shown above

2. On our way home from our honeymoon we got bumped off our flight, because Delta thought that we never arrived...which was totally untrue since we were standing right in front of them. They blamed other people, so we ran around the airport at 3am trying to get a flight booked with the other people, and then it turned out that the only way to get home was through Delta I kind of lost my cool (I was sleep deprived and I had a nasty cold, which I had since day 2 of the honeymoon....hot, i know!), it was then that the Delta agent said to Doug, "Your mother needs to calm down", and then I think World War III broke out, or I sat and cried while Doug called his parents to get advice on how to get home.

Morning of day 2, by the end of this day I was a wreck, and pretty much stayed that way for 1.5 weeks.

3. Working as a receptionist at FSU, a college student came in, asked for something, left, and then called our office to tell the the office that the person who greets students (so, me) that the advice she got from the middle aged dark haired woman at the front might be wrong. Whoa, yeah, let me tell you something, I was so angry, but I couldn't really react to the two insults, one I middle aged, and two, I was wrong. So I sat in stunned silence. Oh and I double checked my work, I was right, what a B-word. And I was only 23 at the time!

4. And finally, I think it was last year, that my 19 year old dopey, yet adorable, employee informed me that anyone over 20 is over the hill. Don't worry, I slapped him for it (actually, I did slap him, it was right after I slapped my boss, and as a going away present for me he let me slap him).

I've been hired at a place that is, again 99% women, and the girls that were hired with me are younger. I have trouble relating to younger people.  What do you youngens like to do? I need help! Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. That is utterly ridiculous. You don't look a day over 23 to me. I mean it.

    Number three made me really angry for you. Stupid girl.

    Once when I was in highschool, some old man (We're talking 60+) told me that my friend who was a year older than me was my "very pretty daughter." I've always looked older than I am, I admit it, but really??

    So, I can relate kind of. And it was not so great.

    Yea. People be crazy.

    ReplyDelete