Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Welcome!

Its my first blog! I feel very unsettled like I am always moving away from my favorite people or places, hence the name of my blog.

This blog is going to be dedicated to pictures and events that are happening around me or to me. I was going to name it "OMG did you see that?!" but that was taken already. 

Oh how rude of me, let me introduce myself. My name is Ana (ah-na), please say it correctly or I will punch you (kidding...kind of). I'm an Oregonian that has lived in Florida for four and a half years and I'm about to set forth on a new journey to New Mexico.

I have been married since December 2006 to a wonderful man, Doug, but you can refer to him as Dr. Doug, or as my dear friend Emily would say Duh-duh-duh-duh-Doug. She's sweet. Doug got his PhD over these passed 4.5 years and will be participating in the ceremony this Saturday, I'm swelling with pride!

We have two very intelligent dogs Tato (like potato) a 10 lb terrier mut, and Buddy a 70 lb long haired retreiver/irish setter/??? mix. He's precious, and a little dopey.

Hmmm, well, now that I've introduced you to the basics in my life, lets get into the meat and potatoes of this blog.

I'm moving next week. Yes, really! I should be stressed, but I'm not, I'm going the Oregon route and staying relaxed and calm about this whole transition.

I was stressed about moving to Florida though. I didn't want to leave behind my family, or dear friends. I had never visited Tallahassee before we moved here, that might be the scariest thing I've ever done. I also never experienced extreme humidity, or cockroaches before (check, and check).

People kept telling me that Tallahassee is real "southern" and I was worried about the KKK and racism. Its sad that this was the first thing that popped into my head, but history books are good at telling the stories of people that went through slavery, and civil war. I was preparing myself for the worst. The first year was rough, I did in fact meet people that were racist.

For the most part I was pleasantly surprised moving to the south. most of the people I met were extraordinary, they were nice (southern hospitality), open minded, and willing to teach me the ways of the south, which include sweet tea, and sweet tea + vodka. The weather was insane, the rain was different, huge fat drops everywhere that lasted about 30 minutes, and then the sun, bright shiny summer sun every day.
That's Tallahassee in a nut shell.

I'm thrilled to move, especially in the heat of these summer days in Florida. I've visited New Mexico too, and it is AMAZING, it reminds me of the hippies of Oregon, but with the summer sun of Florida (sans humidity).

I will make sure to keep you all up to date on the ins and outs of my new adventure.

hugs not drugs,
Ana

1 comment: