Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My lastest MRI Experience: timing, clothing, and music!

I had my second MRI today to check on my pituitary gland tumor. I was really anxious and nervous going in. I made sure I got there with plenty of time to spare. They told me my appointment was for 1:50pm, so I got there at 1:35pm (I hate being late, and I hate when others are late (just ask Zach aka DAE, I would say Mary, or Marlesa, but I'm pretty sure they both had stellar attendance)).

So anyway, I got there, and they looked at me like I had two heads, they were all, "Your appointment isn't until 2:20", and they proceeded to show me paperwork I never have seen before all with the time 2:20 on it. So I felt like a completely insane person, until the lady said, we tell our patients to come in at 1:50, but thats only so they have time to do their paperwork.



What has this world come to that we expect people to be late and lie about their appointment times, just so they have time to do paperwork? Punctuality is a virtue. My dad is a very punctual person so thats probably why I innately punctual , and when I was in choir the director always used to say, the fact that you are late, means that you do not value your time here, and where ever you just were was more important than showing up on time (I'm paraphrasing Dana, I don't remember what you actually used to say).  But I took that heart.

After that embarrassing debacle they called me back, and as an added bonus, they let me keep my clothes on for the MRI! Anytime you don't have to disrobe, and wear those awkward gowns is a huge plus.

This time around I knew what the equipment was going to look like, so I sort of knew what to expect, but they lead me to this GIGANTIC room, like, picture the biggest room you have ever seen, and then double it. In the very center was an ultra mod, sage green and gray MRI machine, it was so sleek!

Then they asked, "What kind of music do you like?" I was literally confused by the question, it felt so out of place. But they gave me headphones and played whatever Pandora station I wanted. I said, "I don't know...Pop?" (biggest mistake ever)

I put the largest over - the - ear - awkwardly - heavy and uber uncomfortable headphones on and laid down. After the second song which was Adele, I was sick of this Pandora station. It was like being in a loud dance club (MRI machine), but then having different music (horrible Pop music) competing with the beat of the MRI.

The last song they played was Maroon 5: Moves like Jagger, which is the song that makes me want to murder Maroon 5. Ok, not murder, but punch in the face, for sure! That was the last straw for me.

They pulled me out so they could inject me with dye, and I pleaded for them to PLEASE change the station, they laughed, and for the last 30 minutes I listened to Elton John, The Beatles, and Billy Joel...so much better.

 Overall, this was a much better experience than the MRI I got in Tallahassee, the staff was nicer in Tallahassee, but the fact that I didn't have to wear a gown, and I got to listen to music made this the most pleasant MRI experience to date.

I'll know more about the results in about a month. I'll keep you all updated!

2 comments:

  1. I feel the SAME way about that Maroon 5 song! I'm glad you got the station changed. Yay, Beatles! Love them. I named my son after a Beatles song, you know. ;) Why is it going to take a month for results??

    <3
    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure do hope it's good news!

    Also, being trapped in a box forced to lie still while listening to music you dislike sounds like a very special kind of torture. The kind you save for the really bad guys.

    ReplyDelete