Saturday, January 28, 2012

Some people have really low standards

The end of last year I was hit on by a client. Let me remind you that my clients are people who are applying for supplemental income assistance. The type of person who comes in to the office is usually down and out. They are embarrassed or sad that they even have to ask for help. That probably describes about 90% of the people I see.

The other 10% of the clients are people who think I am their servant, are trying to withhold the truth from me, or want something for nothing, ugh, so annoying.

The client that came in and hit on me fell into neither of these categories. He was confident, and bold. It started like any other exchange, and the very last thing he said to me was kind of nice, but sort of rude, because he was putting down all of the women that work in the office at the same time as complimenting me. I was shocked that anyone would just blatantly say the things he said. But it was like 5 seconds of weirdness, and I moved on. During my training the instructor said we'd get hit on, but I thought he was liar, or that it didn't apply to me. One of the new workers got hit on while waiting for her interview though.

Then he came in again on Thursday. I see probably around 75-100 people a day, so names don't stick, but faces I remember. I called the guy to my window (it's sort up set up like the DMV), and he gave me his application and supporting documents. Again he complimented me with the same compliment that he gave me last time. I didn't say thank you though, I just said, "I knew you looked familiar" all accusatory like. He laughed and kept on talking about how my husband was so lucky, blah, blah, blah. So instead of 5 seconds of awkwardness, it was like 10 straight minutes of compliments. A-W-K-W-A-R-D

Then Friday he came in again. And again, I had forgotten his name, so he came to the window claiming he forgot to turn something in, and then said he wanted to see what I was wearing today, and then he winked at me and said in the most creepy way possible, "See you tomorrow".

I'm pretty sure I will forever hate being winked at. I used to think it was sweet. It reminded me of the suave men of the 1950's. And Mormon boys used to wink at me all the time. It was one of the reasons I love Mormons. But now....things are different.


I think I'm going to buy a taser gun.


When I worked at FSU, some girl called in and said that she was picking FSU as her choice of college because all of the guys sounded hot on the phone.  I thought it was hilarious and weird, because I could have hired troll looking people to answer the phones that just have pleasant phone voices. I could have but I didn't. I only hired hotties. I'm kidding, I only hired smart qualified people.

Have you ever been hit on in the workplace?

1 comment:

  1. Ewww. What a creep. If he comes in on a regular basis, I'd tell your boss and file a complaint. I have been hit on a handful of times when working at Home Depot- some men know how to innocently flirt without being douchey- everyone likes to be complemented. But then you get the weirdos that make you feel uncomfortable. I've only ever had 1 repeat offender (probably because my instant reaction to those people is to look absolutely disgusted and be slightly hostile) and I ended up telling him if he came in and talked to be again, I was calling the police.

    ReplyDelete